<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, November 04, 2007

Music, Trio, Magic Experience at the CCP 

Music, Trio, Magic Experience at the CCP by Vanessa Aguirre

Truly, a night of music, dance and magic.



Coming back to CCP is something that I always look forward to. Regardless of the event I'm going to, there's something about being 'culturally' reborn that I do experience in the realms of the CCP grounds. The last time I was here was the Cinemalaya week. Spent the whole day watching films until my eyes hurt, enjoying cocktail buffets and endless chatting with my 'indie' buddy about what she thought of the movie and what movie to watch next.

This time, I was tasked to watch and cover the Music, Trio, Magic presented by the Ballet Manila and the CCP. It is a collaboration recital of three award-winning artists in their own fields. The trio performance composed of a violinist from London, Robert Atchison, a pianist born in Ukraine, Olga Dudnik, and our very own Filipino ballerina, Lisa Macuja.

The first 30 minutes of the program was a 'duet' performance of Mr. Atchison and Ms. Dudnik. Not much a fan of instrumental recitals, I for once enjoyed this one. The blending and coordination of musical notes from the violin and piano was simply uplifting. Watching them closely thru my super zoomed lenses, I realized how multi-talented they are in their own instruments and how the melody and rhythm comes from their hearts. The applause from the audience was overwhelmingly long and indeed the perfomance of these two foreign artists was greatly appreciated by the Filipinos.

In the second program, the two artists were joined by a group of ballet dancers. All wearing pastel shades of purple and turquoise, the stage looked so vibrant and strikingly alive.

Lisa Macuja then enters the stage ever so graceful in her glittering outfit. Its amazing how a dance performance can tell a story. From the background sounds to the body movements of Lisa Macuja and her partner, one could tell it is a forbidden love story. She then performs solo while Gia Macuja Atchison sang an OPM love song.

The last 10 minutes of the show was another duo performance of the pianist and violinist. Their finale brought about cheers from the crowd even before they end their piece. As the three artists bow down to the audience, loud cheers of 'Bravo, Bravo' emanated the applause, some gave them a standing ovation.

I was enlivened to see a lot of foreigners that night, and though this was the second-day performance of the artists, they still gave us a great show.

The magical fusion of music and dance of the trio filled me that night as we ate our dinner in Harbor View. The soothing tune still ringing in my ear and the visual gracefulness of the ballerinas swirling around my mind. This event have once again awakened the cultural soul in me.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?